Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Find an artist

One of the most important things an artist can learn is what is good. Though that may sound trite immediately, as I have thought through the various kinds of art, I have found that various popular and exceptional artists follow a certain path, not because they must, but because it challenges them. I must ask myself, what is the challenge they are facing. At that point, I begin to understand the goal that artist attempts.

So what? As a learner and a growing artist, I want to understand what is good. Not just what I can do, but what can be done. With over a million people calling themselves artists in the state of California alone, many people ... do stuff. And call it art.

How do I discern what is worthy to pursue? Ultimately, I think it comes back to what is pleasing. But, be careful: as I grow, I find new conversations more intriguing - (with art and artists alike!). I begin to understand and appreciate new references, even to think better of things I would dismiss at an earlier point in my artistic life.

The point: find the artists you like, and strive to understand them! Don't be afraid if you don't do it right...just keep trying, asking questions, and energize your bright eyes.

No comments: